Welcome to funky town where a cloud of ill emotions weigh you down like a wet blanket. We’ve all been there from time to time. Here is a way out of funky town.
Sometimes the best way to get out of a funk is to distract yourself. Now I’m not saying that you should avoid your feelings. I’m saying that when you feel so bad that you want to raid the fridge and eat your emotions or preform some other self destructive behavior, instead you should distract yourself with something else. Distraction is a great technique to calm yourself down until you are able to process your emotions in a healthy way.
I used to get in such a funk that I would turn to food and without even realizing it a whole carton of ice cream would be empty and I would be left feeling worse. It was a vicious cycle that I will definitely write more on in the future. I learned to distract myself from my immediate overwhelmed emotions so that I wouldn’t turn to food.
Here are some examples of simple ways to distract your self from negative thoughts and emotions.
- Count to 10 while breathing deep breaths, (sounds cliche I know but breathing deep breaths brings oxygen to your muscles and relieves physical tension)
- Go for a walk or engage in any form of exercise
- Write down a list of people you admire and why you admire them
- Listen to music
- Take a bath
- Light candles or put on your favorite perfume or scent
- If food isn’t an issue for you, bake or make something yummy
- Call a friend or loved one
- Journal and write down your thoughts and feelings
- Watch your favorite show or movie
- Hand write a letter or email someone that could use encouragement as well
- Clean the house
- Pray or meditate
- Think of your favorite place and go there in your mind for 5 minutes or how ever long you need
- Paint or draw
- Imagine your negative thoughts and feelings are floating away in balloons as you shoot arrows and pop them or that they are floating away on a river about to fall off a water fall
- Do something nice for someone else
- Get out and go somewhere where you’re not alone
- Remind yourself that feelings come and go and that just because you feel something doesn’t make it so
This list scratches the surface of ways to distract yourself. After you discover what works best for you don’t forget to actually process and talk about how you feel.
Above you’ll see my favorite TV show, Parenthood, that begins again in one month on NBC! This show is one that helps me to relax and always distracts me from my funky moods instead of eating that carton of ice cream.
What are some ways that help you get out of your funk?
* featured image by Kendal Riley.