res·o·lu·tion: noun \ˌre-zə-ˈlü-shən\
: the act of finding an answer or solution to a conflict, problem, etc. : the act of resolving something
: an answer or solution to something
What is it about a new year that makes us want to better ourself? It seems the idea of reinvention pops up every year after Christmas. Are resolutions good or bad? Are they something that drives us to become our best or just let us down because we place unrealistic expectations on ourselves? Perhaps it’s that we all want to feel good about ourselves and the lives we lead and in order to do that we must resolve to change the areas of our life that need a little fixing.
This year I am…
I like to think of my life in three parts: Emotional, Spiritual, and Physical. When all three of these areas are balanced; I’m at my best. In a perfect world I would have a balance life all the time. Then I remember that this isn’t a perfect world and life will always be a great balancing act. Resolutions in the past have held a promise (that was usually broken) of getting something I wanted. For example, I always thought when I look the way I want to then everything in my life would be great and… it’s not true. I know better now then to believe that one desired “thing” is not going to make my life wonderful and perfect. This is where my 3 part balancing act of emotional, spiritual, and physical areas in life come in. This year I am resolving to find balance in my life while having fun reinventing myself by trying new things.
Here are some ways to live a better and balanced life in 2014.
- Track your year: Journal the big and small events, the good and bad moments.
- Spruce up your style: Clean out your closet and sell your old clothes and use the money to buy a few nice key pieces that make you feel good about your body.
- Change your hair: Cut it, grow it or dye it. There are so many ways to give yourself a refreshing look by changing your hair style. For example, I just cut myself some bangs and feel like it gave me a younger and fun look.
- Call your friends: Instead of Facebooking, Twittering, texting, or emailing; try using the ‘ol digits and make some time to actually chat to a real life person.
- Unplug: Schedule time to turn off the phone and be off-line in order to connect with others around you. I’m so guilty of not doing this, so join me in prying the iPhone from your hand and putting it down and out of sight.
- Volunteer: Give yourself away this year! Focus on others and give of your time and talents to a cause greater than yourself; it’s fulfilling and much needed in our world today. I have learned a lot about myself by getting out there and volunteering for something I believe in.
- Be kind: When you want to flip your lid over the person cutting in line or while driving in traffic, try a different tactic of being kind instead. Remind yourself that although they are a jerk, they could also being going through a rough time in life and you have the ability to show them kindness. Mastering emotional outbursts is a huge accomplishment!
- Live in the Present: I am resolving to live in the “now” and enjoy the present moment instead of fretting over the future like I tend to do. Remember presence over perfection.
- Read an inspirational book about someone you admire.
- Try a new workout that reminds you of childhood like swimming or dancing.
- Eat more greens! I’m throwing kale and spinach in my morning smoothies and loving it.
- Take more walks with the fam or a friend.
- Take more deep breaths especially when frustrated, anxious, or busy.
These are all ways that I intend to live a better life in 2014, however I resolve to not beat myself up if I don’t get to them all. What are you resolving to do in 2014?